Yeah. Happily composing a two colored linen dress, listening to Smokie and getting pretty far when it dawned on me.
I’d washed the green, but the red was a hand me down in small parts, very soft and I just assumed it had been washed and shrunk, but when pressing the seams some red came off on the board. And sure enough. Testing a piece in hot water it bleeds like crazy. But before I take it all apart I’ll test two pieces together, maybe the bleeding doesn’t stick?
Late spring is a busy time in the dance teacher business. When my own shows were over, I stepped in to help others. This last week I’ve been sewing Pink Panther’s tails, tutus and hats for the seven dwarfs like crazy besides everything else that dance shows require. Way too busy to get any pictures.
Now all that’s left are the loose sequins, feathers and fabric extracts that I sweep up in my sewing room.
Soon I’ll need a room for my sewing machines alone. But I can’t help it. This was thrown away, a quick check says that the lamp is missing but the gears seem to be in order. Maybe someone upgraded?
I’ll end up a crazy sewing machines lady one day.
A lot of what I make is made from limited resources, fabrics bought in thrift stores or only in small quantities so they don’t get too expensive. This means being as efficient as possible with what I have. But the more i do this I also enjoy matching prints and paying attention to details .
I bought these fabrics today, they were sold in pieces of roughly 150 cm each,and I intend to make as much as I possibly can out of the prints. I’ll keep you posted.
These last six months I’ve worked really hard with a dance show. One of the numbers were David Bowie’s Ashes to ashes, since a tribute to him seemed absolutely neccesary. The costumes are supposed to make you think of astronauts lost in space.
There were three of us on stage. I made the overalls, turns out they were the only thing i actually sewed from scratch.
Did mention this is belly dance fusion?
I’m working on the swimming suit I promised my mom for Christmas (it’s only March after all) and it’s coming along nicely.
I think all of us who’ve grown a chest have experienced the same frustration when it comes to swimming wear. In the stores you can find skimpy outfits in thin materials that give no support whatsoever. Uncomfortable is just the start of it, beach volleyball? forget it!
So when I finally stumbled on a swimming suit with a built in bra that actually works, my happiness knew no limits. I’ve applied that model when I constructed this one.
First I copied an old swimming suit that my mom had and that fitted her. I then made an extra top half of the front and sew some elastic onto the bottom line as. I decided to have the entire suit in double fabrics as well, for extra sturdiness, and mom has tried on the lining.
The built in bra is attached at the side seam and a band with fasteners will go across the back to make sure the elastic is kept tight.
I will try to get it done berfore this years season is over, but my personal deadline for Christmas gifts is before next Christmas eve, so I have another 287 days or so. Should work.